Thursday, May 26, 2011

Morning Records: Briefcase Full of Blues by The Blues Brothers

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: my Dad brought me up right. At 12 months, I was listening to Bruce Springsteen. By the time I was three he was telling people to buy me John Cafferty and Johnny Cougar albums. Hey, it was the early 80's - what were you listening to at age three?

Jeff-09.jpg
Me, sometime in 1980, likely listening to something from the Jersey Shore that wasn't a total embarrassment to the human race.
I learned a lot about music from my Dad. Even years later he was still schooling me; he introduced me to Portishead. Musically he put me on the right track and let me go it on my own from there. He also amassed quite the collection of records, something I enjoyed rummaging through in my early teens.

You remember vinyl, right? Hoping this is still up in the attic.
Although quite a bit of the Rooks Family vinyl was destroyed in the great Winchester Hills Water Fall incident of 1988, there were quite a number of things to choose from. The two records I remember the most are A Wild and Crazy Guy by Steve Martin and Briefcase Full of Blues by The Blues Brothers.

"Opening: I Can't Turn You Loose" and "Hey Bartender"
I'm not sure why, but the other morning I woke up with the need to listen to Briefcase Full of Blues; it was a moral imperative. A quick sync of the iPhone and I was on my way to work with the fabulous Blues Brothers, rhythm and blues review. Route 16. Lake Wazzapamani.

"(I Got Everything I Need) Almost" popped into my head and started this whole journey down memory lane.

You may remember their hit single "Soul Man" and the novelty song "Rubber Biscuit", but it's songs like "(I Got Everything I Need) Almost" and "'B' Movie Box Car Blues" that really stick with me. And that's how I'll always remember Briefcase; as real music, done right, by a case of characters larger than the sum of their parts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment