Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Great October Update

Somehow it's already the middle of October, so I'm going to catch up on several things I've been meaning to write about.

We bottled up my unintentional Pumpkin Pie Ale, which Morgan has since named Last Year's Costume. She definitely seems to have a knack for naming my brews, so I've decided to make her Vice-Present of Naming. While we were bottling, I was also cooking up another American Strong Ale. I wanted to brew up something like Great Lakes Nosferatu and I think I came pretty close. I just bottled it today and I think it's the tastiest brew I've made to date, with low to medium bitterness and approximately 11% alcohol. I'm still  waiting on the VP of Naming.

Last Year's Costume in bottles and awaiting caps.
I also turned 32. Which pretty much means I'm old enough to remember things like the Challenger Disaster, French cuffed pants and gas for 87¢ per gallon. Morgan and all of the 'rents took me out to Steak On A Stone, which is definitely my favorite place to get a steak aside from Lance's Beef. I was disappointed that John wasn't able to show us the dragons.

Morgan and I also ran our second half marathon. The first nine miles were amazing. We were keeping up a good pace and I felt great. And then my legs totally freaked out. I felt like I was running with Charley horses in both of my calf muscles. It was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life; I told Morgan I'd rather be stabbed repeatedly. In pain and hobbling, I finished. I wasn't happy, I was hardly proud, but I finished. Time for more electrolytes, some compression socks and more training before we do The Walt Disney World Half Marathon on January 7, 2012.

B'rer Bear
Me, Br'er Bear and Morgan, January 14, 2010.
I also was a guest speaker for one of my friend's college classes. I have to admit that I was a bit nervous at first, but then I remembered that I'd likely never see any of those kids again and I just went with it. I'm not sure if I was really that helpful, but at least I had fun. It also helped to reestablish that I'm old, because most of those kids live in a world where Roy Orbison has always been dead.

And in the midst of all of that insanity, we've been scrambling to get everything together for our trip to Tokyo. Besides all of the typical international vacation mumbo-jumbo, we're also been trying to find Halloween costumes - and shoes for Morgan. Tokyo Disneyland allows you to go to the parks dressed as any Disney character around Halloween and Morgan and I are going as Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Bear respectively. The hardest part of my costume has been the hat. Luckily we got most everything else we need at a few thrift stores today. I cannot forget to hit Home Depot this week for some rope.

2004-06-06_789
Br'er Rabbit and Morgan, June 6, 2004. 
Finally, I've been through the Apple, AT&T and UPS support ringer this weekend. Seems that getting the new iPhone 4S requires a blood, stool and urine sample, along with three forms of ID and your signature in quadruplicate. Maybe I'm overstating this a bit, but it certainly doesn't feel like it. Apple decided that all iPhone deliveries require a signature - but only a signature from the actual recipient. They can't be delivered to an apartment property office nor can they be picked up at the local UPS office. I know this is to protect me, but getting a piece of plastic has never been more frustrating and I will never, ever ever pre-order a phone from Apple again. It's in-store pickup for me from now on. Hopefully setup won't be a nightmare too.

And that pretty much brings us up to date. Just four more days of work and then it's about 15 hours in the air to NRT in Tokyo.

No comments:

Post a Comment